Friday, August 29, 2008

Wings of Wnder


I spent about two hours taking pictures at Wings of Wonder by Buena Vista. I took about 200 pictures but could immediately eliminate at least half of them as out of focus or no butterfly. It was a great time and there were many of the butterflies that never stayed in one spot long enough for me to get a picture. They are such beautiful creatures and for most of them such a short life. They are also very fragile and you would see a number of butterflies with wing damage.
I was pleased to see the number of people visiting the exhibit. I realize that it is not in a major population center or on a main road but people seem to be finding their way to the excellent exhibit. Most people did not spend the length of time I did in the exhibit. It is hot and humid and I was sweating soon after entering the exhibit. The sweat did have a positive effect you could say. It seems to attract one of the butterflies. First it landed on my leg and I was concerned I would damage it as I walked but it later moved to my head and stayed there until being removed before I left.
One very large moth did not move the whole time I was there. They said it was nocturnal and also did not feed, no mouth. One other very enjoyable animal was the Button Quail. There are several adults and a few very small babies. The plants were also interesting and varied as needed for food for the butterflies and there was a nice garden outside the exhibit but I did not spend time taking pictures there, maybe another time. I had depleted one set of batteries and needed to move on.
I have posted a number of pictures but have not tired to identify the butterflies as I am sure I would be wrong.

No comments: