Monday, November 10, 2008

Snorkeling Maui


Snorkeling is my favorite thing to do in Maui unless it is going out to eat. I spend many hours in the water looking for the fish that is willing to have its picture taken. Photographing the underwater animals has a number of problems. First they never stop to pose. I met one person that shoots video and then takes his pictures from that. Of course he also had a new camera that gave me a case of camera envy. It was not one of the $1000 plus but still a nice camera.
Of course it did get some nice shots from the over 800 I took I have about 50 I would show you but then that is photography. There are also a number of very small fish that dart about and never really show on the picture even though they are often in shallow water and I can get close to them. This year I also saw a number of octopus but they only look like a rock in the pictures.
We had great luck with turtles this year and even got to swim with two of them one day as they were feeding on the moss. There I was almost too close to get a good shot and be in focus. One of the turtles was missing its right front flipper. I am not sure if it was shark or boat that did the damage. I also saw a number of eels this year and even got a few good pictures.
We did not venture out to many sites this year going only to Ulua beach and the beach by the condo. We tried the beach by the Maui Prince which is close to turtle town but it was not that great and you can see turtles other places. Ulua is our favorite but I like to look for the turtle that lives in the coral by the condo. Even though I didn’t think we would try to go to Fish Bowl this year I was sorry to hear they had closed it. It is a 30-minute walk across the lava field but the water and fish were great. The problem was that people were trashing the small-protected area. It was a great place to take pictures. Maybe next year we will try some new places.

No comments: