Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Snorkeling



I would have to say that one of my favorite things to do whenever I visit Maui is to go snorkeling. My first attempt over twenty years ago was not a good experience but I stuck with it and now I can't wait to get in the water and see what fish will present itself today. There is such a variety of colorful fish in the waters around Maui that I always enjoy myself.
Of course now I have added the additional task of trying to take pictures. The additional problem with picture taking is the fish do not pose and as the water stirs up the sand and other junk on the ocean floor each speck interferes with that perfect shot. The use of Photoshop provides many tools to save some of the pictures but I have taken over 500 pictures and probably only have about 20 that are much to talk about.
One of the problems I have is lighting and the deeper the water the greater the problem. Of course I always want the light coming from behind me so would the fish please move over and then stop while I take a picture. It is impossible to use the viewfinder or view screen to see what is in the frame so I just point and shoot. I find that I tend to aim high and the fish is at the bottom of the picture.
I think our trip to Ahihi fish preserve Tuesday provided the best shooting for many different fish and clear water.

No comments: