Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Summer Flowers


Well summer is here and we finally have some warm weather. It was actually hot for a couple of days. Of course it cools off at night so it works out well. My garden has started to grow except one of my bell peppers died. I guess it got tired of waiting for the warm weather. Of course they are predicting a chance of rain for the 4th of July.
The iris have finished but we enjoyed ours, our neighbors, and we made the trip to Scheiner’s Iris Garden for their Memorial Day open house. That is always fun. The Capital City Jazz Band plays, there is a chicken dinner, and the flowers. Of course they have many different iris in the display garden as well as many other flowers and are more than happy to sell you many iris blooms or roots as you want. Some of the new release roots sell for $50. We did have some rain during the open house this year but it was not that bad and I got a number of pictures. Many times I can’t see the difference between two similar plants but I am sure they can.
After a very slow start the dahlias are about to start blooming and the roses are getting started. The sunflowers and lilies have the buds and a few warm days produce many flowers.
As I drove home from my 7 AM tennis on Tuesday I saw a wild turkey and her seven little chicks. I had been saying that I hadn’t seen the wild turkey yet this year but she is back. It may be that soon we won’t be so happy to see them as they increase in number. They could really take care of a garden for you.

1 comment:

Jul said...

I love the turkey picture! We don't seem to have too much wildlife here in Munich (although I did see some bunnies from the train the other day).