Wednesday, May 30, 2007

DollyWood



No trip to the Smoky Mountains is complete without a trip to DollyWood. After all if a mouse can create a theme park why can’t a woman. We spent the day listening to a number of different groups. They were all good and either country or bluegrass but I will admit I had my favorites. We also rode the train and visited a number of craftsmen presentations.
I would say my favorite group was called the Country Crossroads. They were a group of young performers, four women and two men. They did a very nice job of presenting nice arrangements of a great many country favorites. One of the women even had a resemblance to Dolly Parton.
Another group of young people called The Great American Country Show did a nice job but had too much Multi-media big production to be country for me. They did have live musicians but all of the big production just didn’t have it for me.
I did regret that the Kingdom Heirs, a Southern Gospel Quartet did not perform when we were there because of illness. I would have enjoyed hearing them. I didn’t enjoy James Rogers, the “Big” performer with a 55 minute show that went to over an hour. I would have been happy if it ended in half and hour like most of the shows. He is a favorite Tennessee performer and I guess I didn’t fit into the local fun.
A group of four young people did a nice job of singing 70’s songs acapella and we saw parts of there show three times. They were street performer and we when by several times on the way to some other show. It is difficult to sing out in the open without some form of accompaniment and I did enjoy their work.
All in all it was a nice day and introduction to Dolly’s home town culture.

No comments: