Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spring is Here


We just finished a special spring weekend in Oregon. Near record temperatures had us and our neighbors working in the yard and the kids out enjoying the 70+ degree temperature. Of course the flowers as well as the weeds are growing and I am trying to divide the plants that need it and cleanout the plants that did not survive the cold wet winter.
Our daffodils were still looking very nice when we returned and the neighbors said you should have seen them last week. At least they got to enjoy them and we did too. The flowering cherry trees in the neighborhood are in full bloom but I fear the rain and wind that will come in the next few days will have the petals on the ground.
I think I lost more of my dahlias this year then I have for a number of years. I stopped digging them up in the fall. I am now digging them up in the spring to divide and find that many are rotting from the very wet cold winter we had. I still have a number of plants but may soon have to buy some new tubers to expand the variety of color and type of dahlias we have. It seems that the great diversity we once had is gone and I have several plants that are the same.
Why is it that the grass grows better in the flower garden than in the lawn? That is the question I keep asking as I pull the grass from the flower beds.

No comments: