Friday, June 15, 2007

It's Flower TIme




While on our recent trip to Everett, Washington we had about an hour to wait before we were to attend a service so we headed to the Legion Park. It was raining so not a great day to be in the park but there was a baseball game going on and some people were working in the flower garden. Marilyn grabbed her book and did some reading. I got my umbrella and camera and headed to the flowers garden.
I enjoyed taking close-up pictures of flowers last summer in Colorado so thought this could be fun. In addition to all the beautiful flowers, I had all those drops of water on the petals that you see in many pictures. Well the flowers did not disappoint me. I got a number of great shots of flowers and I will not claim to know the names of all of them. Now that I am back home and have them on my computer the question becomes what to do with them. Since I used the macro setting and the spot focusing, most of the flowers were in focus and the background was out of focus. I will not be showing you the ones where the reverse happened. I will just delete and move on like it never happened. Isn’t that one of the reasons we love digital photography?
Well I really liked a number of the shots but wanted to play with them just a little. After all I had just gotten the Photoshop CS3 and need to see just what it can do. I will be the first to admit that I don’t know how to use many of the features in the program but it does have some interesting filters that can be applied and a new tool for easily selecting part of the photograph. I also had seen a picture in one of the shops or maybe it was at the art fair we visited where they had taken ta picture of the flower and put it on a black background.
So what you see is some of my playing. The rose placed on the black background is a simple but effective presentation. The purple flower is just as it was taken except for sizing. The lilies and clematis where manipulated using some of the filters and artistic effects you can add to the photos.
I have other photos and I will soon get a book on using Photoshop so I may soon have even more fun playing with the pictures I have taken.

No comments: