Monday, June 25, 2007

Oregon Coast Pictue Trip



Well the trip to the Oregon Coast was good and bad. I did get a lot of pictures but it was very cloudy and we got caught in rain about the time we where going to head down to the tide pool. We did see whales. At least two probably a mother and baby right next to the shore but all they would show us was a fin and maybe their back as the would blow.
I tried many things since all I was to do was take pictures. Got some reasonable shots of birds flying and many lighthouse shots. I wish I had a bigger zoom as the birds were nesting. Some were on the nest and other were gathering grass for the nest. There was also the rock out in the ocean that was covered with birds. Most of these shots required a higher zoom.
Some very nice flower shots and I do enjoy the close-up shots of the flowers. While I was shooting flowers and just looking around a song sparrow landed on some of the flowers I was observing so that required another eight shot to try to get the perfect shot.
Since this was a trip organized by Rush Hour Photo, there was another couple on the trip and I rode with them. They were new a Corvallis and very nice people. Paul Rentz, President of Rush Hour, and Andy, his friend, where along to help identify animals and flowers. Part of the cost includes processing at Rush Hour and I am looking forward to any input that Paul might have as a professional photographer on the pictures I have taken.
Of course I have been busy with photoshop to see what I can do with the pictures. Since it was cloudy, some adjustment of light and color was done on most of the pictures. Then of course you really don’t want the parking lot and viewing platform in the pictures of the lighthouse so they had to be removed. The last was the combining of the lighthouse with one of the seagulls I caught flying by. All the pictures of the whale were a waste. Even if I had more zoom a fin is not that exciting and then if you really zoom in will you be where the whale decides to surface the next time?

You see a sample of my work here ,more is posted on Flickr, some are in process, and some have been deleted.

2 comments:

scatterlined said...

I don't know if it is the "cheating" with photoshop or the practice; but you seem to be posting better pictures recently.

Keep up the good work. I hope to see shots from the new camera soon.

prentz said...

Leon, I love the photo of the lighthouse! Yes, the whale shots were (are) frustrating. They just don't come up out of the water that much close to shore.
Even though cloudy, that's not all bad in photography- more even light and your photos show it! The clouds in the lighthouse photo add character.