Friday, December 08, 2006

Christmas Party



Ok, so this isn’t all about me. Marilyn’s exercise group had a dinner to celebrate Christmas and at the last minute she talked me into singing for the ladies. Ok I didn’t put up too much of a fight but I really didn’t have my Christmas Show ready yet.
Well I got my iPod ready and took along my speakers. Then got out the Santa hat, red shirt, and white tie. Since I didn’t have all the songs memorized, I had to print out the words. Then after a few practice runs at less than full volume to save my voice I was ready.
Marilyn said to show up at 7:15. They were to start eating at 6:15 so that should mean they would be about done. Well they were just in the middle of eating and drinking when I arrived so I waited until about 7:40. I hoped they would have most of their talking over by that time. There was 23 of the ladies in a private home so it was crowded (the picture shows half of the ladies). Well it is a fine line with people drinking wine between them having enough to relax and enjoy your presentation, with mistakes, and having too much so they make your singing harder.
I started out with White Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. Of course many wanted to join in on the singing and the Grandma song almost required it. That was fine but with recorded music it doesn’t wait for you or speedup when you do. So I had to try to hear the music and not listen to the singers.
I finished on a more serious note, with Midnight Noel (It Came Upon the Midnight Clear and The First Noel) and O Holy Night. Both arranged by Mark Hayes. I enjoy singing his arrangements but the piano part is difficult. For this performance I had the CD of Mark Hayes playing. I plan to sing O Holy Night for chapel on the 17 and then I will have my friend Ruth playing for me.
I think the ladies enjoyed the singing and it was nice to get a practice completed. I will be ready by next week.

No comments: